Frequently Asked Questions
These FAQs are designed to provide a better understanding of Portable Fire Extinguisher related Questions.
Please Note: These questions and answers is designed to be helpful in raising awareness about Smiths Fire and our services and products and other accessories. It is not a substitute for legal advice. It may not cover important issues that affect you. You should consult with your local AHJ if you have additional questions.
who should service and maintain our fire extinguishers?
Maintenance and servicing of fire extinguishers should be performed by a licensed and insured fire extinguisher servicing company that has the proper tools, training, recharge materials, lubricants, manufacturer’s servicing instructions, and replacement parts.
how often should my fire extinguishers be checked?
Monthly - quick check to ensure that the fire extinguisher is in the designated place with no obstruction to access or visibility, and that the pressure gauge indicator is in the operable range.
Annually – a thorough examination of the basic elements of the fire extinguisher performed by a trained person who has undergone the necessary instructions and has the manufacturer’s service manual.
What is a hydrostatic test?
Pressure testing of a fire extinguisher to verify its strength against unwanted rupture performed by a facility that is approved by the D.O.T. to requalify cylinders.
How often is a hydrostatic test required?
• Dry chemical 12 years
• Water, aff, fffp 5 years
• Halogenated agent 12 years
• Carbon dioxide 5 years
What is a six year maintenance?
An internal examination of an emptied dry chemical fire extinguisher to check for corrosion and any interior problems. Extinguishers that pass the six year maintenance are then recharged, reassembled, and receive a six year service label and a verification of service collar.
What are the classes of fire?
• Class A - Wood, Paper, Cloth, Trash
• Class B - Flammable Liquids
• Class C - Electrical
• Class D - Combustible Metals
• Class K - Combustible Cooking
At what height should fire extinguishers be installed?
• Fire extinguishers having a gross weight not exceeding 40 pounds shall be installed so that the top of the fire extinguisher is not more than 5 feet above the floor.
• Fire extinguishers having a gross weight exceeding 40 pounds shall be installed so that the top of the fire extinguisher is not more than 3 1/2 feet above the floor
• In no case shall the clearance between the bottom of the fire extinguishers and the floor be less than 4”
What type of fire extinguisher should I get for my home?
The following are NFPA-10 minimum recommendations per floor:
• A single fire extinguisher rated 2-A:10-B:C or higher.
• One single fire extinguisher rated 2-A or higher, and a second fire extinguisher rated 10-B:C or higher.
Are all fire extinguishers all purpose
There aren’t any all-purpose fire extinguishers yet however, dry chemical extinguishers can be used on the majority of fires with a few exceptions..
How often should I get my fire extinguisher serviced ?
Fire extinguishers must be serviced every 12 months or after each use by a Smiths Fire certified service Technician. If an extinguisher is found to be leaking, it should be serviced immediately.
Can a fire extinguisher be stored in an automobile?
A fire extinguisher can be stored in an automobile if the ambient (usual/average) temperature does not exceed the UL Rating listing in the owners' manual (usually -40 to 120 degrees F.)
How do you clean fire extinguisher residue after use?
To clean fire extinguisher residue after use, sweep and vacuum up as much of the residue as possible. Then use a damp cloth to wipe up the remaining residue.